Baked Chicken with Tomatoes, Avocado and Spinach Salad
This one-pan chicken recipe is the perfect mid-week meal. Enjoy it with either a salad or vegetables depending on if it’s summer or winter (or maybe just because you prefer one over the other).
About this Recipe
By: Erin O’Neill – Accredited Practising Dietitian
This chicken recipe is such a tasty and simple dinner that it’s bound to become a regular on your menu of weekday meals. The other bonus is there won’t be much to clean up afterwards seeing as it uses just the one tray for cooking.
The divine combination of the juicy chicken, creamy avocado and sweet cherry tomatoes make every mouthful of this dish a lip-smacking experience.
- 500g chicken breast (skinless)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 punnets cherry tomatoes
- 1 lime
- 1/2 red onion (diced)
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 1/2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
Step by Step Instructions
Start by preheating your oven to 180-degrees Celcius and line a baking tray with non-stick paper.
Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper and paprika to taste. This recipe certainly isn’t spicy though, as my kids are super fussy when it comes to spicy dishes, unfortunately.
Next, you are going to want to cut all of your cherry tomatoes in half. This is a great little job for the kids to help out with while you are doing the step above. Getting kids into the kitchen to help out with preparing meals is a great way to get them interested in and more likely to eat what gets put on the table.
Then, put the chicken and cherry tomatoes on a tray together and bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
While the chicken and tomatoes are baking, get busy preparing your avocado and onion guacamole. Throw the avocado, lime juice and your finely diced onion into a bowl and mash it all together with a fork. The first time I made this I used too much lime juice and it really overpowered the entire meal. So, I recommend adding the juice of half a lime at a time until you get a flavour you are happy with.
Give your baby spinach a toss in some extra virgin olive oil and then plate it all up.
Baked Chicken with Tomaotes, Avocado and Spinach Salad
- 500 grams Chicken breast skinless
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tsp Paprika
- 2 punnets Cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 Lime juiced
- ½ Red onion finely diced
- 4 cups Baby spinach
- 1½ tsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celcius and line a baking tray with non-stick paper
- Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper and paprika to taste. Place them to one side of the baking tray and spread your cherry tomatoes across the other side. Bake the chicken and cherry tomatoes together in the oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through.
- In the meantime, add the avocado, lime juice and red onion together in a mixing bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mash the mix together with a fork until it forms a creamy consistency.
- Toss the baby spinach with the extra virgin olive oil.
- Plate the baby spinach, and then top with the baked chicken. Top with the avocado mix and roasted tomatoes. Enjoy!
Want to get to know me better?
Get an insight into what I'm about (and what I eat!) every day... Join me on Instagram
Weight-loss coaching for busy mums all over Australia